Wednesday, September 2, 2009

She Said.

I once had a High School English Teacher tell her class that if it was between the greatest conversation of her life and the best sex she would choose conversation. To a group of curious high school kids this went over our heads and I'm probably the only one who even remembers her putting this out there until this very day. And for someone all hopped up on T and with hormones comparable to a 17 year old boy, I doubt I can really relate even still to her admission. But at the same time I recognize the depth of what she is saying. Have you ever talked with someone all night? Told them what you want to be "when you grow up," the things you did as a kid, or even things you haven't told your Mother or your best friend? Or maybe a conversation with someone new at a bar, a difference in opinion, or finding out that their passion is going to a developing country to do HIV counseling. Whatever moves you. I know one friend in Boston, a guy friend named Nat who I could talk to for an hour, our common curiosity on everything under the sun; books, movies, ideas, political figures, you name it. I always walk away with a sense of hopefulness after talking with him. Or with a close friend; someone you can tell your stories too or look back, someone who used to be so innocent and dorky that it makes you love them that much more. Sometimes in the art of talking, the act of really listening is something I fail to do. It has hurt so many of my friendships but I tend to overcome it by confessing that I'm not perfect but I really want to try. I am defensive, sometimes I stop listening if I'm not interested. I'm selfish, etc. I so want a career that depends very heavily on being able to be a active listener, Journalism much like acting is interdependent on connecting with someone you are speaking with. That act of digging out of them the root of their emotion and sharing it is truly an art. They trust you to share the intimate details of who they are. I need more practice, I definitely need to get out of my comfort zone and need to get my hands dirty. I am meeting a Graduate Assistant tomorrow and am forwarding a Cover Letter to a Fox News Anchor I met at Kings Highway a month ago for Mentoring advice. Other than that I'm just doing all that I can to get the disgruntled writer out of me.

An Author once wrote that Journalism is the perfect pathway to writing the piece of Fiction you've always wanted to produce. That it trains you to observe the details and characters and learn to be edited. "Tell the story that's been growing in your heart, the characters you can't keep out of your head" she advises. I don't know that I have it all formed, but its on its way to you, from me.

No comments:

Post a Comment